Music in Grief

Grief is a natural response to loss. It can be felt in many ways. Grief’s impact can be emotional, social, spiritual, physical and financial. It is as individual as the person you loved and lost. Grieving while living away from family and friends can be especially difficult. This is a place where you can share your thoughts, and get ideas on how to cope. It is here for you to get support and validation.

Music in Grief

Postby KarenH » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Music, when soft voices die
Vibrates in the memory
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Music has the power both to soothe and to energize. It can support feelings of joy and determination, as well as reflect our anger and deep sorrow. In grief, songs can help us to remember our loved ones, and at times, provide an emotional trigger that can allow our tears to flow freely. At other times in our grief journey we may choose music that lifts our spirits, and helps us to envision hope for the future that may otherwise seem out of our reach.

For many years composers and songwriters have shared their grief with the world through music. Eric Clapton’s song “Tears In Heaven” was written after the accidental death of his young son in 1991. The song “Is There Something I Can Do” by the band Five Star Iris reflects a person’s desire to support another who is grieving. Many other pieces, both secular and religious reflect themes of remembrance, grief and hope.

We invite you to share your own experiences of music in grief…
KarenH

Re: Music in Grief

Postby willow4peace » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:32 am

Music has helped to lift my spirits while experiencing grief. I have always listened to a certain, favorite radio station. It happens to be a religious one. I do like a lot of other music. After I experienced two losses in my family, the songs I heard seemed to be played just for me. The messages in the songs were of hurting, hope and strength. It was like the song was written just for me, to hear at that moment. I was comforted to know that I was not alone in the feelings I was experiencing. The music on my favorite radio station has helped me and supported me through the grieving process. Even when I was at my lowest point, listening to music has helped to calm my fears, soothe my soul and provide inspiration to my life.
willow4peace

Postby willow4peace » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am

Listening to music while I was grieving the deaths of two family members has been so helpful to me. I have always listened to a favorite religious radio station, even though I do like a lot of other music. I was amazed, and still am, when I would hear a song that seemed like it was speaking directly to me. The words of the songs spoke of hurting and healing, sadness and joy, weakness and strength, despair and hope. I desperately needed hope and strength to get me through this difficult time. I compiled a CD with some of my absolute favorites and played it constantly. I called that CD, "Songs of Hope". I realized other people had feelings just like me, I wasn't alone. I continue to experience the blessings that music gives me while I heal my broken heart. Sometimes I find myself humming a song that stuck with me throughout the day and I find joy in that. What a gift we have in words set to music.
willow4peace

Postby KarenH » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Recently, I was reminded of a song that I hadn't previously related to grief and loss. On that day, for the person who brought it to me...it was crystal clear. Perhaps you'll find some new meaning in it as well.

"There you are in the early light of day
There you are in the quiet words I pray
I've been blessed by the simple happiness
Of the perfect love (life) we've made

Every time I turn around
When I'm lost and when I'm found
Like an angel standing guard
There you are

Every time I take a breath
And when I forget to breathe
You're watching over me
There you are